Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Travel System

Last night was Breastfeeding 101 at Babies 'R Us. We watched a video made by Medela about breastfeeding. It was informative, I learned a few things. It wasn't high pressure make sure you register for a Medela pump but they did tell about the different styles. So that was good too.

I ended up registering for the Medela Swing. It's an electric single that can be used every day (apparently some singles are only for ocasional use). Since I'll be staying home we thought a double might be overkill, especially since they're so much more expensive. And we don't even know how often I'll be pumping. Maybe just enough so that she knows how to take a bottle. It's all a big mystery until she gets here.

That was the easy part.

After the breastfeeding class we went to register. I've done most of it online, and I did a bunch on Saturday with my mom. So we just needed to decide about the car seat and stroller and a few other small things. We decided to go for the travel system instead of seperate car seat and stroller.
Once we made that decision we went through all of the systems they had on display in the store. Seeing which features we liked, which were too heavy, which were too flimsy stuff like that.
It took two hours and the store was closed by the time we made our decision. Luckily the staff wasn't pissy about it. We went with the Graco Stylus in "Ben" It's very neutral and a little boring but we thought it was the best stroller and car seat for us. It'll match the tan and black of the car perfectly.

I would say the biggest challenge, besides figuring out how each stroller worked, was figuring out which features are important. The first one looked good but as we went on we saw what other features each system had and a couple times had to go back to compare. Luckily we got faster as we went along. We figured out what to look for, and we could tell how it worked without reading the instructions. So far I'm happy with the choice we made.

I need to figure out some of the little stuff now. I want to register for a baby book (even though I think that's something people might buy anyway), maybe a few more toys. Things like storage baskets, a toy box, and a lamp I'm not sure how they'll fit into the nursery but they would be nice to have so I'll have to see about those.

And then there's the jumperoo, bouncer, and swing I registered for. I hadn't seen them in any of the stores I've been in. They have the ocean wonders but not the rainforest. It turns out that they're online only. And the jumperoo isn't available online at the moment. I'm not sure if I should switch those or not. I tend to shy away from buying stuff online for showers, probably 'cause I always wait too long. So I don't know if it's a problem for other people or not.

So if you're looking at my registry and see something I've missed or have other suggestions let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment