Wednesday, August 11, 2010

*Frustrated Noise*

I tested positive for Group B strep. This means I'll need to have an IV of antibiotics once I get to labor and delivery. I'm all for keeping baby safe but an IV was not a part of my birth vision. They're annoying.

I wonder if they'll let me have the IV of antibiotics and then downgrade to a heparin lock rather than leaving the IV in.

And to complicate matters further, since I had an allergic reaction to one of the drugs I was taking after the jaw surgery (we think it was the amoxicillin), they won't give me penicillin which is what they would normally use. So they're doing a sensitivity test on my culture to see what drugs they can use. This all makes sense, but the way Sue rushed out of the exam room to tell the office staff to order the test made me a little nervous. JR thinks that maybe she wanted to make sure they didn't discard my sample. It came across as, "Well, this is probably life threatening, so I should hurry." Yeah, when you're 37w 6d pregnant the drama and over reactions increase a bit.

I was supposed to see Dr. Kridgen again but she had to go into surgery, so that's why I saw Sue the nurse. I still haven't seen Dr. Alvarado-Reagans (and I won't next time either) so I'm pretty sure that's who will be delivering our baby. Sue made a note that we've hired a Doula in my chart. Hopefully I'll have the birth vision all worked out by the next appointment so they can note my preferences.

1 comment:

  1. I was Group B strep postitive too. The super annoying thing wasn't the IV .. it was that they wanted me to come in as soon as my water broke. My water broke before I had any contractions (that I could feel at least). So that led to me having Pitocin to speed up the labor, blah blah blah. But all that is just because my water broke before the labor was really "a movin" ... And you need the antibiotics as soon as water breaks I guess. Oh, and you need a few doses of antibiotics before the labor too (or at least I did). So they kept the IV in for awile and also gave me fluids through it. They didn't put a hep lock on until after labor. But I had an epidural, so not sure whether that matters :) So in summation, no worries, it really wasn't that bad or that much different than a normal Strep B negative birth :)

    ReplyDelete