Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Birth Vision

Amanda and JR Hagy’s Birth Vision for Kaida Rose Hagy
8/18/10

We believe that birth should be a natural process, it is important to us that as few interventions as possible are used to bring our child into the world. We would like to be informed of procedures before they happen and be a part of the decision making. Amanda would like to be able to remain active during her labor in order to help it progress naturally. We understand that every labor and delivery is different and there is no way to anticipate what will happen. With that in mind the following birth vision outlines what our ideal birth would be like.

Labor:
I want to be able to change position frequently and use the methods we have learned in class to cope with pain and to progress my labor.
During labor JR and our Doula will both be present.
I would prefer a Heparin Lock to an IV.
To monitor the baby I would prefer telemetric monitoring for as often as monitoring is required.
I would like my water to break naturally.
I hope to avoid an epidural and would prefer to not be offered medication.

Pushing:
I hope to listen to my body and push when I feel the urge.
I would like to push in whatever position feels most comfortable for me.
I’d like to avoid an episiotomy if possible.
We will be donating Kaida’s cord blood through the Dan Berger Cord Blood Program.

Immediate Post Partum:
We would like all non-emergency care (vitamin K, eye treatment, bath, etc.) postponed until the first hour after birth.
I would like to hold Kaida and breastfeed as soon as possible.

In the event of a Cesarean Birth:
We would like to be given as much information as possible and time to make this decision.
I would like to have an arm free to hold the baby after she is born.
Please allow both JR and our Doula to be in the room.
I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment