Friday, March 1, 2013

Birthday Parties - Pittsburgh Edition

Colin's birthday parties went really well.

The first was here at the house with the Pittsburgh aunts, uncles, and cousins.  We had invited a couple other people but the flu was pretty popular that weekend so it ended up being just family. 
We had pizza and cupcakes and did lots of presents since we also exchanged Christmas gifts. I think it was cute, I even did a little display table on the buffet like all the party blogs show.


The cake
Two six inch chocolate cakes layered with vanilla frosting.  The cake stand is from a set I found at Target.  I'm very excited about that purchase!  The robot on top is rice krispy treats and fondant.  The gears are also fondant.  They were hand cut using a cardboard template.  We tried a make your own cookie cutter kit but the tiny little angles were too hard to make by hand.

Cupcakes, favors, robot hat, fun robot
This is the display table.  My favorite robot was the one on the left.  I think he looked pretty awesome.  He's made out of a tissue box, styrofoam meat tray for his feet, toilet and paper towel tubes for his arms and legs, a yogurt cup for his neck, and a circular piece of carboard that came as packing material in something for his head.

"Robot Fuel"
I printed out robots and taped them over the pictures in frames hanging in the dining room.         
"Computer Chips", "333 Ohm Resistors", and "Nuts and Bolts"
 
 
"Disks", "Drop Cloths", and "Tools"
 
Colin's robot hat
 I made the robot hat out of felt.  Kaida had a pretty awesome crown for her first birthday so I thought Colin should have something fun too.  Since they don't make many awesome boy party hats I had to take matters into my own hands.  The little robot on it was the same as the robot on the invitations and over the disply table.


Robo-Colin
JR did most of the work for the "robot photo booth" I posted about it on the other blog for the pinstrosiversary challenge. I didn't win though.


Robo-Kaida
 
Obligatory cake eating picture.


Favors
I saw a couple pins that made robots out of candy boxes.  I mixed them all together, found what would work at the grocery store, and made my own.  They are made out of a juice box body, junior mint legs, sticks of gum for the arms, and little nerds for the head.  I didn't think they looked very roboty at first so I covered them with tin foil.  Kaida loved unwrapping them!

 
Robot cupcakes
 These are the cupcakes after 2 days in the cupcake carrier.  It gets pretty humid in there so imagine them a little less melty.  I saw these on pinterest too, but the pin I have dead ends at a picture.  I think these came out really cute too!

We also did a build your own robot craft using sticky glitter foam that I had cut into robot shapes.  They just stuck them on paper however they wanted.  But that required a lot of adult help so there aren't any pictures.  I'll have to find a finished one and post a picture in the Buffalo entry.

Coming soon: Robot party - Buffalo Edition!

No comments:

Post a Comment