Friday, March 30, 2012

Diaper Woes

We are having some diaper issues in the Hagy household lately. Most obnoxious right now is the diaper rash. I hate when they both have red butts 'cause it feels so wasteful to put them in disposable diapers so I can use the heavy duty rash cream on them.

I don't remember Kaida getting diaper rash until she was eating solid foods. I mean occassionally, but Colin has been red a bunch of times and he's only 2 months old. His usually clears up pretty quickly and isn't that bad.
Kaida on the other hand gets really awful red sores. Or her whole butt gets red and hot. For a while she was telling us when she needed her diaper changed but she's stopped doing that. You would think that if you were sitting on a poop that was burning you you'd tell someone about it.
Anyway, I'm not sure what we've been feeding her but it's been 3 days of rash now. It started as one bad diaper so we'd put some cream on it and she'd be fine within a diaper change or two. But today it was bad all day. She screams when we change her and won't even sit down in the bath tub. Poor baby.

So, rashes are one thing. But leaks are starting to be a big problem too. I think I have super pee-ers. I can understand Kaida peeing a lot. She's getting pretty big and she drinks a lot during the day. If I'm really on top of it and change her every two hours we can usually get through the day without leaks. Unless there's a poop during the 2 hours when she has her juice. Then it's like a perfect storm. The solution to this problem may be just to put more doublers in or try the grovia or prefolds again.
But then there's overnight. I gave up doing cloth overnight when she started leaking every night. I'd rather just do disposables than spend who knows how much trying to find the one kind of cloth diaper that works for 12 hours overnight. But now the disposables seem to be leaking almost every night. And last night it leaked really bad. I had to change the waterproof pad, the crib protector, the sheet, and the mattress pad. Might be time to start limiting liquids in the evening. Or have her sleep on a puppy pad.

But, on to Colin. The cloth diapers fit really well on him. We don't have the skinny leg leaks we had with Kaida a lot in the beginning. But we do have the peeing more than the diaper can handle leaks. I may need to try the grovia and prefolds on him too, or more doublers. It's just surprising that he's out-peeing the diapers this early. The good news is that the cloth diapers hold in baby poop a lot better than a disposable.

It's annoying to have cloth diaper problems but there are obviously drawbacks to the disposables too. Can't seem to win.

4 comments:

  1. I feel you pee pain however it's dog related. For the past three weeks or so we've been sleeping on the couch so I can hear the dog get up when she needs to go out (she doesn't tell us) so that I can put her out instead of having her pee on the floor. It's generally about every 2 hours, sometimes she'll go 3 and sometimes she'll go 1 in between needing to go out. Every time I get up with her, I think of you and what it's probably like with a newborn and a toddler. Sometimes the dog will outside, come in, and want to go right back out. Now we know there is a serious problem, but before it was kind of frustrating because, like babies, they can't say what's wrong.
    I agree on the poop thing, though. If I poop myself, I am telling someone I need a change asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting up that often in the night really starts to affect your functioning after a while. So if you start seeing things or can't remember your address just chalk it up to that.
    Luckily Colin is down to once or twice a night now. And Kaida apparently just gave up on waking up in the middle of the night (Thank God).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go up a size for Kaidas disposables for night time. That usually solves leaks. Pampers also does an overnight diaper that's more absorbent. We also don't let Claire drink right before bed. She loves to guzzle before bed and then she'll pee out of her diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I just bought 144 of the size 3s. We'll probably use a lot in Disney though so they may go pretty quick.
    The other night it seemed to be coming out through the diaper. Not just out the legs or top. It's an impressive amount of pee.

    ReplyDelete