Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Colin went to the Doctor last week for his 1 month check up. He weighed 10 pounds 1.5 ounces and was 22.5 inches long. He seems to be around the 50th percentile for everything, which makes sense 'cause he looks like a normal chubby baby.

When Dr. Kovatch came in I mentioned how I got to leave "The Screamer" at home this time. He definitely remembered her and was visibly relieved that she wasn't there. He thinks it's her age and when she gets closer to two she'll be a little better about it. Here's hoping!
As we talked he compared the two of them a couple times, like the color of their hair and stuff like that. I guess it's good, in a sense, to have a child who behaves horribly, 'cause we're definitely memorable now.
I mentioned his dry skin and the Dr. thinks it's just because it's winter. He suggested Eucerin and then remembered that he had some samples (he loves to give us samples), so he brought an entire box of tiny tubes of lotion. He's so nice, and quirky. The hygienist who recommended him to begin with is right, Mr. Rogers on speed.


As for me the last couple weeks have been a little rough. On the Edinburgh Post Partum Depression scale I keep scoring at the low end of the range where I should seek further treatment.
The Baby Blue Prints nurse called and after she asked me the questions she said it's hard to discern between sleep deprivation and depression.
While we were still at the hospital someone came by to ask if I would be willing to have someone contact me for a research study on Post Partum Depression. I said yes and so someone from the study called and after the questions she said that my score was just high enough that they would come conduct a home visit. So she came a week later and asked me a lot more questions. But my score was low enough that they wouldn't ask me to be in the treatment part of the study. She suggested exercise, putting Kaida in daycare, and psychotherapy.
Then I took it again at the pediatrician. Dr. Kovatch noticed it was high but he didn't seem worried. He said "It'll get better."

Some days I feel fine. And it's usually for several days in a row. Then I'll have a day or two where I feel overwhelmed, unmotivated, or sad. And it really doesn't take much to make me cry. It's kind of like how I feel the week or two after the baby is born except I don't seem to swing from high to low as quickly or drastically and I don't have the anxiety I had after Kaida was born.
I thought maybe it was related to how much sleep I get but I can get lots (in relative terms) of sleep at night and have a bad day the next day. So it's not a direct correlation. But I'm definitely not getting as much sleep as I did after Kaida was born.
So far it seems better when I'm around people. Not random people, like at the store, but people I know.
I'll talk to the midwife at my appointment this week but I don't think I expect anything different from what I've already been told.

We went to birthday party for the store Mother's Boutique and a photographer was there to take some pictures. This is a cute one of Kaida and Colin together.

No comments:

Post a Comment