Thursday, September 16, 2010

4 Weeks

Kaida is four weeks old today. Sometimes it seems like that can't possibly be right since we just brought her home but other times it makes sense.

We're pretty sure she hit 8 pounds. I keep weighing her but getting wildy different numbers each time. JR weighed her last night and she was 8 pounds and when I weighed her she was 8.2 pounds. But during the day I had weighed her at 7.2. So I don't really know. I guess we'll find out at the doctor next week.

After I posted about Kaida's smile she smiled again at JR when he was talking to her. But that's been it. She's back to sleep smiles and sleep eating smiles (I'm pretty sure this baby is asleep when she's eating most of the time. Which is really not fair. Especially since I'm supposed to sleep when she sleeps and I can't sleep while she's eating!)

She still has her umbilical stump. I read that sometimes the alcohol swabs kill the good bacteria that make it dry out so I've stopped swabbing it. Maybe all those antibiotics we had during labor lowered her good bacteria too.

We've had a couple more naps in the crib.
Most nights we go from 3 to 5 hours between feedings.
There have been a couple nights where she just refused to go to sleep. When I give in and give her the pacifier on those nights it generally ruins the rest of the night too. Everytime she wakes up and the pacifier isn't in her mouth she starts to fuss, waking me up too.

For her night time routine I've been feeding her on one side when we're downstairs. Then going upstairs to change her. Then I swaddle her in the swaddler and feed her on the second side. Then I put her down in the bassinet. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We're going to start teaching her to take a bottle so that may change things anyway.

Last night She really fell asleep when I was feeding her. She stopped sucking completely. So rather than wake her up to finish I just put her back down. Bad idea. After that she was up every hour to eat. I learned my lesson!

Today I pulled the gerber newborn onesies out of her drawer. They're 5-8 pounds and have started to look a little silly on her. Like she's a quarter of the way through her transition into the Hulk. That made me sad 'cause she was so tiny when we brought her home and now she's not.

Angry Kaida


If I just stretch a little further I can get this back in my mouth.


Super relaxed

No comments:

Post a Comment