Sunday, June 3, 2012

"He's Huge!" or 4 Months


Colin had his 4 month Dr. appointment on friday.  He weighed in at 16 pounds 4 ounces and measured 24 inches long.  That puts him in the seventy-second and thirteenth percentiles respectively (he seems to have the opposite percentiles of Kaida).  Although both the Dr. and I think that his height measurement is off.  I got 25 and a 1/2 inches when I measured him myself on Saturday.
His head is still around the 39th percentile which is where he's been since the beginning.

When Dr. Kovatch walked in he asked me how old Colin was now.  I told him 4 months and he looked at him and said "He's huge".  It was pretty funny.  He said he's the weight of an average 6 month old.  Of course he and all the nurses want to know if I give him formula too.  It's like they don't believe that he's exclusively breastfed.  He's only had breastmilk and two doses of Tylenol so far.  Unless Kaida is slipping him some candy or something when I'm not looking.


He said that if he keeps waking up a lot overnight I could start cereal early and give it to him in the evening.  I think I'll see how he does over the next week or so and if it's really killing me I'll think about it.  I mean, he can't even sit up yet so I doubt giving him cereal will go well.  And the last thing I need is more aggravation.

He had two shots and the oral rotavirus vaccine.  They sent me home with, like, 5 different vaccine sheets.  I guess when they're combo shots they cover more stuff.  Definitely makes it more confusing though.
Every single time we go Dr. Kovatch asks if/assumes that we're delaying the vaccines.  It's sort of starting to make me paranoid.  Like, does he think we should be delaying?  Or does he just think that since Colin and Kaida were breastfed that we would automatically delay the shots too?
Do I have that I-would-like-to-delay-my-child's-vaccines air about me?

I have to use a pillow when I nurse him, he's just too heavy to hold up the whole time.  Kaida was 16 pounds 9 ounces at her 9 month appointment.  I think that since she was older, and maybe longer, it was easier to feed her at 16 pounds.  I could sort of sit her on my lap.  But, we're managing.

 He's very happy.  Very quick to laugh.  And not very fussy at all.  We thought Kaida was a good baby but he is very very good.

Kaida is pretty sure that in order to get to go outside all she has to do is make sure everyone is ready.  So she gets her hat (or her coat, I guess it just depends on the day), and her shoes, and the baby's hat.  On Saturday she even put it on him.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I love that little chunker! Maybe your breast milk is like a milkshake made with heavy cream. That's what I'd tell the nurses next time they don't believe you. Just say you're a human frosty maker but it's not cold. You can tell I have no children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try the human frosty maker line next time. Hopefully they don't call social services because that makes me sound crazy.

      Delete